WHAT IS 27:17 BASEBALL?
27:17 Baseball, founded by Matt Williams, is an online baseball resource that lives by the motto,
AS IRON SHARPENS IRON, SO ONE PERSON SHARPENS ANOTHER
No one – players or coaches – gets to where they are in the game without the influence of others. We are all impacted by the people around us, for better or for worse. 27:17 Baseball serves coaches, players, and parents by providing baseball resources in three main areas: 1) Player Development, 2) Competitive Excellence, and 3) Winning Mindset.
What does it take to improve your skills on the baseball field? How do you hit with more power? How do you lower your pop time as a catcher? How do you increase your velocity on the mound? How do you increase your range as an infielder? These are the types of questions that we are striving to answer here at 27:17 Baseball. We are focused on the timeless truths of the game that are guaranteed to help players at any level take their individual skills to the next level.
Competition is a good thing. It’s important to be competitive, both on the baseball field and in life. We believe that if there is a scoreboard then we should try to win the game. Competition, when defined correctly and kept in the proper perspective, makes everyone better. Our Competitive Excellence resources are designed to equip coaches and players with the skills and strategies that are proven to lead to success in competition. Player Development doesn’t matter if it doesn’t translate into Competitive Excellence.
The mindset is what brings everything together. No team, player, or coach can develop to their potential or achieve competitive excellence without the proper mindset. 27:17 is based on a growth mindset. A growth mindset means that our skills can be improved with the right, intentional effort. This mindset helps everyone navigate the ups and downs that come with baseball. It is also the key to making a difference in the lives of others. Our Winning Mindset resources are designed to create and live out a Winning Mindset both on and off the field.
WHO ARE THE 27:17 Baseball STAFF?
Founder, Head Coach
Hi, my name is Matt Williams and I coach to develop my players into men of integrity who will love, serve, and lead others with confidence, excellence, and purpose.
I played my youth and high school baseball in my home state of Michigan where I was the first ever four year starter at my high school. After a successful prep career that included almost every high school award in the state, I went to Duke University on a baseball scholarship.
While at Duke, I was a four-year starting catcher and played 216 games in my four year career.
After graduation, I was drafted by the Chicago Cubs in the 18th round of the 2009 MLB draft. I went on to play one year of professional baseball before retiring to pursue a career in coaching.
- 18th round draft pick of the Chicago Cubs in the 2009 MLB Draft
- 1 year of professional baseball experience at the Rookie and A- MiLB levels
- 2009 NCAA Johnny Bench Award Semi-Finalist (given to top Division 1 catcher)
- 2009 NCAA Lowe’s Senior class Award Nominee
- 4 year starter at Duke with a total of 216 games played in 4 years
- .310 career hitter while at Duke
- 4x ACC Honor Roll member
- 3x All-ACC Academic Team
- 27:17 Baseball/Ironmen Baseball Club, Founder (2018-present)
- Catcher University, Founder (2016-present)
- Best in the US Showcases, Co-Founder, Owner (2015-2018)
- MidAmerica Nazarene University, Assistant Coach (2014-2017)
- Community for Coaches, Associate Director (2013-2018)
- Kansas City Christian School, Varsity Head Coach (2013)
- Private Catchign & Hitting Instructor (2012-present